DIY Tips for Common Heating Problems
To avoid hiring a professional for an easy fix, we’ve provided some tips below for dealing with common heating-related issues. If you are experiencing a reoccurring issue or the following suggestions do not work to fix the problem, don’t hesitate to call us. If you feel the job may be unsafe or you are unsure what to do, Dash Pro Services is standing by and ready to help.
24/7 Emergency technicians available for all customers. Avoid more damage ...Read more
Looking for maintenance plans to cover you year-round? We have plans for ...Read more
Indoor Air Quality
Good air is clean air and a happy healthy home is one free of harmful ...Read more
The following are some common heating issues and suggestions for fixing them.
Problem: My Heat Pump is Not Heating My Home Properly
- First, check the thermostat display. If blank, refer to the next section below.
- Check your thermostat settings to ensure that the temperature is set above the current room temperature and the system switch is set to HEAT or AUTO. The fan switch should also be set to AUTO.
- Check the circuit breakers for your heating system. If it needs to be reset, switch it to OFF and then back ON.
- If you have a gas furnace, make sure that the gas is turned on by checking the valve on the side of your furnace. If it is off, reset the furnace breaker by turning it OFF and then back ON.
- Is it time to replace your filters? Replacing air filters can allow for cleaner and better airflow throughout your home and more efficient use of your system.
Problem: Blank Thermostat Display
- How old are the batteries? A simple battery change-out may be all that is needed.
- Check the circuit breakers for your system. There will be two: one for indoors and one for the outdoor unit. If the breaker(s) need to be reset, switch it to OFF and then back ON.
- If applicable, locate the condensate overflow safety reservoir located near the air handler/furnace. If it has filled with water, it is possible that it has switched on the safety mechanism. To fix, suction out the water and re-install the safety switch. Proper installation of a safety switch will help to avoid costly water damage if this problem occurs again.
The outdoor unit is making noise, is this normal?
Usually yes. With colder temperatures, the outdoor heating coil may freeze and when this happens, the system will automatically handle the problem by defrosting the coil. During this process, you may hear noises or whooshing sounds.
Should I be worried if I see steam blowing from the outdoor unit?
No, this is normal and not a cause for concern. Steam is usually the result of the activation of the system’s defrosting process. Ice can form on the outdoor unit and in melting the ice, the system will produce steam. Steam can also be released when the fan turns back on at the end of the cycle.
Why do I see water around the base of the unit?
It is normal to see some water at the bottom of your outdoor unit and is caused by ice melted during a defrost cycle.
Should the outdoor unit’s fan switch on and off while heating?
Yes, this is part of the normal, functional operation of your system. It can happen during a system defrost or when temperatures inside your home are only slightly warmer than the outside temperature.
Do I need to perform any maintenance on my air conditioner?
Yes. We recommend performing maintenance services on your air conditioner and/or heating pump twice per year. Neglecting to perform regular maintenance on your HVAC system can make your system vulnerable to larger, more costly breakdowns in the future. So much money in utility bills and repair costs can be saved by performing small maintenance tasks and inspections regularly.
What temperatures are best for cooling or heating my home?
Not everyone has the same ideal room temperature preferences and your thermostat should be adjusted based on your needs. Generally speaking, keeping your thermostat at 76°-78°F works as an ideal range for cooling your home on warmer days and between 68°-70°F for cool days.
I’ve read the FAQs and I am still experiencing a problem.
We’re ready to help! Dash Pro Services is always happy to step in and provide great professional service whenever you need it.